Wednesday, October 26, 2011

1961 U.S. Nickel

Do you have a nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment

This is one of those common coins that was so elusive to find in change, at least for me. Since I started to seriously start collecting coins from my change back in 1998 it has been a breeze to get the most common coins. Then there are a few older ones that escape your grasp. This 1961 nickel was one.

As you may know 2009s with their low mintage and hoarders out there is also not in my possession. Next two nickels I have to get are 1957-D and 1997-D everything in the middle has been found in my change.


50 years of wear and tear has done little to harm this coin. I would add that if I find the same coin in better condition I will upgrade and toss the lesser coin back in my change.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / United States of America
Year: 1961
Mintage: 73,640,100
Metal: 75% copper 25% nickel
Value: $0.10 in VF-20

Do you have an oldish nickel and want to find out its value? Leave a comment and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

5 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

What is a 1980-P American Nickel with a doubled reverse worth?

Man said...

1980-P American Nickel with a doubled reverse worth?


About $5.00 in high grade and true doubling.

Anonymous said...

About the 1980 nickel I posted about it is very worn and slightly doubled but the obverse seems to be a bit off center. Would it be worth keeping or should I spend it?

Man said...

1980 nickel I posted about it is very worn and slightly doubled but the obverse seems to be a bit off center.

Worn and Off-Center suggest that is most likely no true doubling.

That said if you are a collector put it aside for later but if you just want a quick profit just use it.

Anonymous said...

In that case I guess I'll keep it.