Friday, January 04, 2013

1968-S Proof Half Dollar

Have a half dollar and want to know its value? Leave a comment

Half dollar coins are still difficult to come by in my change so I use to buy them when they were cheap. This one I bought was around face value a few years ago even though it is a proof. The reason is that it was stored improperly and the holes on the holder is giving it nasty tarnish marks.

 

In case you cannot see the problem spots here is a nice close up.


I should take it out of the holder and replace it but it has little value other than metal so no big loss. The plastic of the holder does not show the full coin brilliance but there is some haze on the coin itself.

Half dollars from 1965-1970 are silver clad.

Silver clad means the coin has three layers. The two outer layers are 80% silver and 20% copper while the middle layer is 20.9% silver and 79.1% copper. The total net weight of pure silver is 0.1479 ounces or 40% silver.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 50 Cents - Proof / United States
Year: 1968 S
Mintage: 3,041,506
Metal: 40% Silver, 60% Copper
Value: $4.50 added a few cents because proofs should have extra value

Although the above was another coin from the vault I did find something late yesterday but I will wait to show that one.

Have a fifty cent coin from America and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

4 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

I have a 1981-S Washington quarter uncirculated and I was wondering how much it is worth? It is in extremely fine condition from what I see from online criteria.

Man said...

1981-S Washington quarter uncirculated and I was wondering how much it is worth? It is in extremely fine condition...

In EF just $0.25, it lost all its value when it was no longer high grade.

Anonymous said...

Oh darn... well if you don't mind me asking what would it be worth at MS67 or MS69. I saw them at an auction shop for five dollars each, are they worth getting?

Man said...

Oh darn... well if you don't mind me asking what would it be worth at MS67 or MS69. I saw them at an auction shop for five dollars each, are they worth getting?

They would be Proof coins so
PF-65 is about $3.00
PF-67 is about $7.00
PF-69 is about $15.00

Price is constantly dropping since more are be graded. Not a great investment but perfect if you are trying to finish a high grade collection.