Wednesday, February 27, 2013

1976 Canada Quarter

Have a Canadian quarter and want to know its value? Leave a comment

While America was celebrating the bicentennial back in 1976 what was Canada doing? Well nothing they had a centennial in 1967 and I guess they will celebrate their sesquicentennial in 2017. The design is the standard caribou seen on most Canadian quarters since 1937.


This particular 25 cents is a bit rough. The reverse has seemingly started to peel. While I am not sure if this is true lamination or damage it does expose the coin to further damage.


A close up shows the scarred surface and some green. That green verdigris (Copper(II) acetate) commonly seen on copper cents is damaging. I am assuming this is Nickel(II) oxide which on pots, pans, and jewelry are common but not always seen on circulating coins. Polishing nickel prevents this but even in this 100% nickel coin it can take hold when the surface is pitted.

Damaged or an error I think it has no extra value.

Here's the stats for each variety...
Type / Country: 25 Cents / Canada
Year: 1976
Mintage: 86,898,261
Metal: 100% Nickel
Value: $0.25 in G-4

Do you have a Canadian quarter and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

4 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have a Canadian Quarter, the year is 1976, but it does not look like the one you have pictures of. My Quarter is clean and shiny, is that bad? I do not care so much about the value, I just love collecting coins, and I would like to know more about them, but i do not know how.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Also i have several Canadian pennies. I do not know if you care about that or not, but I wanted to let you know. I am the same person by the way.

Man said...

Canadian Quarter, the year is 1976, but it does not look like the one you have pictures of. My Quarter is clean and shiny, is that bad?
--That is fine, mine is damaged. Some coins can stay in high grade for years even in circulation.

Also i have several Canadian pennies. I do not know if you care about that or not, but I wanted to let you know.
--That's cool I collect every type of coin.

Anonymous said...

Try pine crest