Friday, June 07, 2013

Free Money in the Mail

Occasionally I get actual cash in the mail. Never anything over a crisp dollar bill, mostly old pennies. This time it was a nickel. It was from the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA.org) and with it came a bunch of address labels. This was unsolicited and would be considered junk mail by most.


The coin was stuck with glue and had a D mint mark on the reverse so I knew it was an older nickel.


It turned out to be a 1964 D nickel in at least very fine condition.


You are supposed to return the nickel along with a contribution. This is a great guilt trip. It forces you to respond to the mailing and in the process you verify your address for future mailings. It is a common ploy among junk mail senders to send you small money and then ask for it back as if really cost them a lot.

While researching PVA.org they seem legit but I never dealt with them in the past so I have no idea why I am on their mailing list. Yes I donate to certain organizations but they promised not to share my name or contributions.

I will not keep this nickel and would like stop PVA.org from sending me stuff just like that they save all the ink and coins for their own use.

12 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Kelly said...

You're right, though, it is a rather nice nickel.

Man said...

it is a rather nice nickel.

I agree but it feels wrong keeping it even if I decide not to donate to the PVA.

I think they still do "Return To Sender" at the post office.

Anonymous said...

I know someone who found a war nickel in one of the mailers.

Also, I am wondering how much is an Engelhard round worth with the words "First Annual Shareholder's Meeting May 6, 1982" It weighs almost .5 of an ounce, but it is only sterling, so it is .45 of an ounce. I know the melt value, but I am wondering what the premium is.

jonathanfregozo said...

I have a $20 bill from 2004 that is off centered from the front and somewhat from the back.

watermarks are also off centered when looked under light.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/15ri7wz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/35bfuci.jpg[/IMG]

Man said...

I know someone who found a war nickel in one of the mailers.
--That is cool.

Also, I am wondering how much is an Engelhard round worth with the words "First Annual Shareholder's Meeting May 6, 1982" It weighs almost .5 of an ounce, but it is only sterling, so it is .45 of an ounce. I know the melt value, but I am wondering what the premium is.
--Just metal value, although limited compared to normal Engelhard rounds there is not much of a market, as far as I know.

As you may know rounds are not as closely collected as coins. This may have better value for Engelhard collectors.

Anonymous said...

i have two old coins from honk kong and would like to know their value as well as an apparently rare 1968 aussie 1 cent coin. the coins are Edward VII 1905 1 cent in ef-unc and a 1901 queen victoria in f-ef. the 1968 1 cent is in vf thanks i really enjoy looking at your blog cos i collect coins my self.

Anonymous said...

(same person from last post)
are 6 1966 1 cent coin from australia and 10 1966 2 cent coins australia worth a good amount each thanks mate

Man said...

two old coins from hong kong
--I need year and denomination.

1968 aussie 1 cent coin about $0.35

What country?
1905 1 cent in ef-unc
1901 queen victoria in f-ef
1968 1 cent is in vf

6 1966 1 cent coin from australia about $0.15 each
10 1966 2 cent coins australia about $0.20 each

Anonymous said...

I am thinking these are the Hong Kong coins:

1905 1 cent in ef-unc
1901 queen victoria in f-ef
1968 1 cent is in vf

Man said...

Hong Kong coins:

1905 1 cent in ef-unc about $10.00
1901 1 cent in f-ef about $6.00

1968 1 cent is in vf ???No such thing check again???

Anonymous said...

yes they are the hong kong coins the 1968 is from australia and it is 1 cent my bad

Man said...

1968 is from australia and it is 1 cent about $0.50