Friday, February 14, 2014

1964 Lincoln Memorial Cent

On this Valentine's Day let me share my love of change finds. This was my first find in 2014 and last year I would have rejected this cent. This coin was rescued from my change because it turned 50 years old and that is all I need to collect common coins.


The cent is kind of gunky and pretty worn for a relatively new cent. My self-imposed rule of keeping all common coins that happen to be 50 years old is kind of silly. This coin in this shape will never have more than metal value even if we stop using small change.

It is also noteworthy to point out this coin was the first to reach over 2.5 billion in production for the U.S. and while that seems common now it was a huge achievement for the mint. The likely cause of the huge production spike was one part need but the are part was to build stockpiles as they phased out mint marks.

Mint marks were being discouraged because of hoarding and production issues. By 1965 mint marks would vanish on coins but in anticipation they made sure to boost production in 1964. That coupled with the change in coin composition for the silver types made for a bunch of common coin that year.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent  / United States
Year: 1964
Mintage: 2,648,575,000
Metal: 95% Copper, 5% Tin, and Possibly Zinc
Value: $0.02 in EF-40

Do you have a cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

2 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Unknown said...

I have a 1973 penny and to the naked eye it's missing the "3" but under magnification it's there but very faint almost looks indented...any info would be appreciated... I can take a picture of it...where would i send it to?

Man said...

1973 penny and to the naked eye it's missing the "3" but under magnification it's there but very faint almost looks indented

This is a Struck Through Grease error it has no extra value.