Thursday, May 29, 2014

1994 Canada Cent

Hey I thought you were recalled. Apparently those Canadian cents are hiding out in American change. A sharp increase in these finds can mean that Canadians are using the last of their cents in U.S. stores.

I just thought of how Canadian coin collectors will now not have any U.S. cents in their change anymore. I would imagine it may have been common to see U.S. coins in their change but now the U.S. cent will be unavailable.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent / Canada
Year: 1994
Mintage: 639,516,000
Metal: 98% Copper,1.5% Zinc, and 0.5% Tin
Value: $0.02 in EF-40

Do you have a cent from Canada and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

3 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

aussie kid said...

still trying to complete my collection of Australian 50 cent commemorative coins from circulation. I only need 2 more:

1991 25th anniversary of Decimal Coinage
and
2001 Centenary of Federation Western Australia.

These are considered some of the hardest to find out of circulation:

The 1991 has a tiny mintage of 4.7 million while the 2001 has an even smaller mintage of 2.4 million.

That being said all of the 2001 centenary of federation 50 cent series have an extremely low mintage of under 3 million. The highest being 2.8 mil and the lowest being 2.1. (there are 10 coins in the series so it has been VERY hard to acquire them but I am still missing the one :( .)

On a brighter note I managed to swap a common 50c commemorative with a friend and received a nice reward:

the 1988 Australian Bicentenary 50 cent coin, bringing my total up to three.

Again this is a coin with a low mintage and it was really cool to get it in a swap from my friend.

I have also managed to obtain the rarest australian 5 cent coin from change. As an idea of the mintages of aussie 5 cent coins the max so far is over 300 mil. For the 1972 this was an absurdly low 8 mil, making it the rarest in the series to date.

Obtaining one was an incredible find as it regularly sells (I never intend to sell it though) for $10+ which is a nifty 2000% profit (unless my maths fails me XD)

Well until i find something else cool wish me luck on completing my 50c collection!

aussie kid said...

Just a few more facts and a bit of a whinge about australian money:

I always get jealous when you find an old coin in your change as the oldest aussie coin you can find is only from 1966 and none (apart from the long recalled aussie silver half dollar(this has interesting history you should check it out XD) ) have any silver in them.

But there are some spectacular and well known errors that you can find,unfortunately very rarely from change, that make me stop and look at what most people think are ordinary coins :)

Man said...

@aussie kid

Good luck, if anyone can find them it will be you. Congrats on the 1972 5 cents.

Since American coins are never actively taken out of circulation it is possible to find coins that are 150+ years old.

Currency is regularly inspected and burned but coins as long as they hold the general shape can keep circulating. Which is also why we have so many foreign coins because no one looks to closely at coins.