Monday, July 07, 2014

1916 Wheat Cent

The oldest coin I found this year so far. Unfortunately judging by the pinkish hue and uneven washed out appearance it has been cleaned.

The reverse has holes typical of environmental damage. That and the obvious cleaning makes me think this was dug up by a metal detectorist and set back into circulation because it now has only metal value. I doubt the $0.02 in metal value is enough to make this a keeper unless you are a really bad at metal conversion math. I still will keep it but it is not a collectable coin despite it being almost 100 years old.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent / United States
Year: 1916
Mintage: 131,833,677
Metal: 95% Copper, 5% Tin and Zinc
Value: $0.30 in G-4 (this is about $0.02 because of cleaning)

Do you have a wheat cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

0 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.: