Sunday, August 03, 2014

1776 - 1976 Half Dollar

The Bicentennial Kennedy Half Dollar was made in 1975 and 1976 in honor of America's birthday. No 1975 half dollars were made and the design for the half dollar coin was changed. Independence Hall of Philadelphia was used and the motto 200 YEARS OF FREEDOM was added.

Despite being popular during the late 1970s they were bulky and soon were seldom seen in circulation in later years. A myth about bicentennial coins is that they were all silver which is not true. A small portion of these coins were made of 40% silver but they have an S mint mark under Kennedy. Ass to that a bunch were melted in 1982 at the mint.

These are common and will likely always have a low value. That said a lot of people, especially young people, have never seen one. They were hoarded at the time and I can only hope that older folks pass them down to the grandchildren to spark a new generation of collectors.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 50 Cents / United States
Year: 1976
Mintage: 234,308,000
Metal: 91.67% Copper, 8.33% Nickel
Value: $0.50 in EF-40

Have a fifty cent coin from America and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

8 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

I think the silver ones for the bicentennial were 40% not 90%.

Man said...

I think the silver ones for the bicentennial were 40% not 90%.

You are correct I will update.

Unknown said...

I have a 1776-1976 silver dollar and would like to know if it is worth something

Unknown said...

I have a 1925 liberty peace silver dollar is it worth anything?

Man said...

1776-1976 silver dollar
--If copper-nickel then just $1.00
If silver then about $6.00

1925 liberty peace silver dollar
--About $15.00

Anonymous said...

I have a bicentennial quarter d liberty torch and 13 stars

Unknown said...

I have a 1776-1976 coin and would like to know if it's worth anything and 1971 John f Kennedy coin

Unknown said...

I have one of these coins what would be a reasonable price